Do you remember exactly when you realized that your child was exceptionally smart? Perhaps he or she would browse the encyclopedia at a very young age, knowing that the D encyclopedia meant that he or she could look at pictures of dinosaurs. And then you probably realized that the little child was actually reading instead of just looking at the pictures. If you are wondering how to educate your brilliant teenager, from things you can do at home to finding specialty schools, here are some ideas:
What You Can Do At Home - Just remember that the world can be an actual curriculum away from school:
- Consider having an exchange student from another country who could inspire your child to learn a second language.
- Invite people to your home that can tell your child about his or her specialty. For example, if you have a friend or an acquaintance that knows a great deal about other countries, invite him or her to have dinners at your house and to share his or her knowledge.
- Go on creative field trips. For example, visit places like a stock brokerage house, a planetarium and every museum that is in your area.
- Make sure that you connect with people at your local library. Not only will they recommend books for your child, but books that will help you know how to inspire your child. In addition, the library might offer classes that will be of interest to your child.
Find The Right Specialty School For Teens - Your child might not be stimulated enough at a regular school. Think of finding a private school that caters to gifted teenagers:
- At a specialty school, your child will be taught by instructors who are trained especially to work with gifted children.
- One of the benefits of attending a specialty school is that the classes will usually be smaller than those at a public school. Your child will receive additional one-to-one instruction.
- It will be great for your child to study with other teenagers that are exceptionally intelligent. It might even be a bit humbling!
- Specialty schools for teens not only help them in the high school years, but they will help your child to prepare for his or her future by steering him or her to the right college or to other training.
As you educate your gifted teenager, be sure to include him or her in selecting things that he or she wants to study. Contact a school like BraveHeart Teen Program for more information and assistance.